Skip to main content

M-T, Th-F 10:30AM - 6:30PM | Sat 10AM - 5PM


At Empire Guns & Ammo, many people come in firing off a load of firearm questions.

Here are our answers to 10 of the most common ones asked by first-time buyers.

Most Asked Firearm Questions

#1. I’m unsure whether I have a California record that would prevent me from owning/possessing a firearm. Can I find out before I attempt to purchase one?

A: You may request a California Personal Firearms Eligibility Check (PFEC) by submitting a (PFEC) application to the Department of Justice. For more information about requesting a PFEC, please refer to the PFEC FAQ. Applications are available through empire G&A and your local firearms dealer. Please be advised that a PFEC does not include a Federal NICS check. Therefore, you may still be prohibited from owning or possessing a firearm even though you receive a PFEC response indicating you are eligible to own or possess firearms.

#2. How can I obtain a Carry Concealed Weapon (CCW) license?

A: You can click on our CCW link or contact your county sheriff’s office, or, if you are a resident of an incorporated city, your city police department will have information on obtaining a CCW license. They can answer your questions and provide you with a copy of their CCW license policy statement and the CCW license application. If you live within an incorporated city, you may apply to the police department or the county sheriff’s office for a CCW license. However, only city residents may apply to a city police department for a CCW license.

#3. Can I give a firearm to my adult child? Can they give it back to me later? Can I give a firearm to my spouse or registered domestic partner? Can they give it back to me later?

A: Yes, as long as the adult child, spouse or registered domestic partner receiving the firearm is not in a prohibited category and the firearm is legal to possess (e.g., not an assault weapon). Any firearm transfer between a parent and child or a grandparent and grandchild is exempt from the dealer transfer requirement. The exemption does not apply to step-children/step-parents, brothers, sisters, aunts, uncles, or cousins.

The recipient must obtain a Firearm Safety Certificate before taking possession and submit a Report of Operation of Law or Intra-Familial Handgun Transaction and $19 fee to the DOJ within 30 days of taking possession.

These same rules apply to the return of the firearm at a later date.

#4. Who is prohibited from owning or possessing firearms?

A: Any person who has a conviction for any misdemeanor listed in Penal Code section 29805 or for any felony, or is addicted to the use of any narcotic drug, or has been held involuntarily as a danger to self or others pursuant to Welfare and Institutions Code section 8103 is prohibited from buying, owning, or possessing firearms or Ammunition.

There are also prohibitions based on mental conditions, domestic restraining/protective orders, conditions of probation, and specific offenses committed as a juvenile. A list of prohibited categories is available on the Bureau of Firearms website.

#5. My firearm purchase was denied by the DOJ, and the dealer won’t tell me why. How do I find out the reason for the denial?

A: If your DOJ Bureau of Firearms denies your DROS application, you will receive a letter from them within two weeks. The letter will explain the reason and instructions on how to get a copy of the record that resulted in the denial of your application. There will also be instructions on how to dispute and correct information in your record you believe is wrong.

#6. I am moving to California, and I own several firearms. What are the new-resident registration requirements?

A: You are considered a personal firearm importer as defined by California law. You may bring all of your California-legal firearms with you, but you must report them all to the California Department of Justice within 60 days as required utilizing the New Resident Firearm Ownership Report (BOF 4010A). One caveat, you may not bring ammunition-feeding devices with a capacity greater than ten rounds, machine guns, or assault weapons into California.

#7. Why do I need a second ID when buying a handgun, and what second form of ID can I use?

A: Because you are buying a firearm that can be easily concealed on your person, the state wants to make doubly sure you live where you say you do, and a second ID helps to prove that you live where you say you do.

2nd Type of IDs that are accepted are:

  • Car registration
  • Signed residential lease
  • Hunter or fishing license
  • CCW
  • utility bill from the last 90 days (cell phone bill is not acceptable)
  • DMV disabled placard
  • Guard Card
  • Propane/ cable bill
  • Original military orders
#8. I have a new address. How can I purchase a new firearm or Ammunition?

A: If you want to buy a firearm and have moved, follow the link xxxxx.

If you want to buy Ammunition, you will need to go to California Firearms Application Reporting System (CFARS) and update your address with the state, or you will need to come to buy a firearm with your current address. After you have purchased a Firearm with your new address, you should have no issues buying ammo in the future.

#9. Do you transfer guns from out of state?

A: We accept out-of-state transfers, but the firearm must be transferred from a Federal firearms licensed dealer. Also, you must contact us by calling 951-530-8113 or emailing us at and let us know what type and kind of firearm you want to send.

If you call us or check our website, we can probably get the firearm you wanted at the same cost or cheaper. Once we approve the transfer, you may purchase your out-of-state firearm.

#10. Do you accept ammunition transfers?

A: Generally, we do not. However, if it is a hard-to-find caliber, for example: something you cannot find on our website, we will try to bring it in for you.

As a side note, we can give you a better deal on case pack ammo if you call us. When you purchase directly from us, we can save you some money; not only that, but the money you spend with us stays mostly in our community and helps us stay open